Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Foreign Chocolates

How does dream smell like ? I am not sure, if feelings have smell. Aargh ! Whatever, but right now, my dreams have a fragrance. Diary rich Hershey's Black Milk Chocolate. Subbi mama (subbi mami's husband) will land in tomorrow morning. Like every year, we will visit him. All my happiness will await detonation, till the Samsonite is burst open, and an Aroma of chocolate boxes(not chocolates) fill the room. Im addictive to anything chocolaty !!
------------------------------------
This year chocolate bag was no different. Same M&Ms, Snickers, Hersheys, Crackles and one Giant Nestle premium pack chocolate. Slrrrupp !! Of course, there were some electronic gadgets, and some board games and picture dictionaries for me. Wonder what makes them think, those will interest me. hmm.
------------------------------------
I hate mom. She will split the packets, and give to next door and few other relatives. Only a few will remain..
------------------------------------
chandru mami came home. she was given foreign chocolates. My share was considerably reducing. I am in this half-adoloscent. Too old to fight for it in front of them.. they liked me being possessive, when I was a kid.. but the world has changed a lot now.. the way it behaves with me.

She ate all the chocolates on the plate, and then came the comment. "idhellam namma Food worldlaye kidaikkudhe..."

Is it true ? oh.. may be. I was at Food World once, but was left with the Security.. they feared that I would make a mess inside. But from where i saw, there were lots of colors. All chocolates would have been there.
------------------------------------
Dad came home. I wanted to show him I was upset. So, i made sure i was seen, and kept a long face. Did you know this technique works well.. it is simple.. just be upset, and make sure you are noticed.. your prayers will be answered :) So was mine..

Dad took me to Food World, and I found all the chocolates Subbi mama brought.. everything. The Chocolate boxes didnt smell the way the usual boxes smell. But they were the same brands and flavours.. I was floating.. I won these because i was upset.. Cool, this works.
------------------------------------
From then on, I got a lot of Hersheys, whenever mom went to Food World. They were no more interesting.
------------------------------------
Next Year

Subbi mama is coming tomorrow.
-------------------------------------
Samsonite was open, and the aroma filled the room.

I wanted to feel unmoved. But then a sudden surge of excitement came in. Wow ! Foreign Chocolates..... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Keerthi - you asked me for my opinion on your stories :)
I read three or four of them, and they are good. You have a knack. There is only one thing you have to look out for. We Indians, when writing in English, have a tendency to directly translate from our mother tongues. I also used to do it long back, and I was corrected many times. Now I am very careful about it. I found many such instances, but for example, here is one instance - "I kept a long face". This is how you would say in your language, I think. At least in Kannada, I would say this itself. But while writing in English, the correct thing is "I made a long face". One more thing is, "long face" is more widely used in India. And probably south india. People from elsewhere might not understand immediately what it means. So try to make your language more generic. So that everybody can understand it. For that, the only solution is to read, read and read. Do as much reading as you can, and your language will automatically improve.
All the best!

KRTY said...

Thanks Shruthi, for your opinions. :) let me try and eat some books (someone suggested me a 3rd standard grammar book. Thats how poor my language stands... hmm).

nyways. thanks for your time on the stories.

Blog Archive

Stats

cool hit counter